I’ve always believed that a wise woman saves as she shops. Since becoming a parent, I’ve learned the value of stocking up on snacks at Costco.
Growing up, my parents would purchase the majority of their food necessities from our local Costco Wholesale store. With four kids and a pup, it just made sense to do so.
Today, we shop at Costco and stock up on everyday items for our family and guests.
Stocking Up On The Essentials
When planning to make a trip to our local Costco store, we always think of the snacks our kids enjoy. Aside from fruits and vegetables, we also stock up on cold cuts and bread to make sandwiches for family trips. Those are always easy to grab and be on our way.
For those of you looking to get the most out of your Costco shopping experience, I recommend doing the following:
- Pay close attention to sales. Costco often sends its savings catalog to members. Keep an eye out on products you typically buy or the ones you’re looking to try.
- Remind yourself whether the item is a need or a want. If I want something, I get it, but once I realize it’s not something I need to have, I leave it behind.
- Plan weeks in advance. Most of the time I’ll pick up an item or two from Costco based on upcoming events. For instance, if I know someone is coming to stay at our home soon, then I think of things they might need. In most cases, it’s toothpaste. By purchasing items in advance, you’ll be able to save on later dates.
- Try their samples. There are many items available at Costco, but it would be best to know what you’re buying before spending the money. Taking advantage of the samples also helps you curb your appetite if you haven’t eaten and decided to go food shopping.
- Choose a similar option. You’ll notice there are a number of items that have Kirkland options. These are Costco branded items that are similar to the popular brand ones. In most occasions, they’re the cheaper option.
- Hold off on the things you don’t need right away. If you’re not having guests any time soon or have enough of something until the end of the month, then I recommend holding off. Most of the time I’ll hold off until the next pay period so I don’t overspend.
- Make a shopping list and include prices. Before heading out the door, I like to write down a number of items along with their prices. I typically round off the numbers by the nearest 10. By doing so I can calculate more or less how much I’ll be spending beforehand.
- Go with the Executive Membership. You will be happy to see how much you get back at the end of the year. The amount we receive (up to $200 every year) has helped us during the holiday season. We use the money to stock up on the necessary items we need for the holidays when family and friends come to visit.
30 responses to “8 Ways To Save At Costco”
I shopped at Costco few times but i have no idea they give cash back on executive members. It is definitely a great way to save up on shopping and store up more items for holidays.
I LOVE shopping at Costco. I watch those sales like a hawk and then I buy like the apocalypse is coming.
As a single with no kids and a super small apartment, I can’t really buy in bulk or in large sizes so I have never ventured into Costco, Sams or BJ’s yet, but I do hear they all offer such great deals and it is very tempting to check them out.
I love shopping at Costco! They have a great variety of foods and other essentials. Great place to shop and save money.
I know some people don’t have a Costco near them, and I tell them they’re missing out! One of my favorite places to shop. The money we save is incredible
I haven’t shopped at Costco in a while but I do like Sam Club for a few items. Mostly baking ingredients like flour and sugar.
I love shopping at Costco! They have competitive prices and great sales. Getting cash back is pretty neat too!
These are great tips! I love shopping at Costco, it’s like a mini vacation!
I must confess to never having shopped at Costco before – but it seems a lot of people love it, so I must give it a try soon. Thanks for your tips 🙂
I love Costco! They always have good prices. This is very practical and good advice!